Thursday 1 May 2014

tube strike survival kit

Having suffered through the tedious (yet understandable) tube strikes of 2014 twice now, I have developed a bit of a knack for them. In fact yesterday I was an hour early to work and even though I felt so exhausted I thought I might pass out by 12 o clock - I felt there were some key essential items that really got me through this weeks strike. If you are dreading the three day stint they have planned for next week you may want to take my advice...


1st is food & water (the obvious)


The wonderful and deliciousso Volvic with a Touch of Strawberry really cheered me up and stopped me from fainting in the sweaty crowds of the carriages.
Food wise a breakfast bar or piece of fruit is easiest in the morning as you can eat it quickly whilst (if you are lucky and extremely strategic like me) sat on the tube or whilst stood waiting for one (or if you have the pleasure of having to do a 20 minute walk from Waterloo to Westminster like me (or similar) - scoff it then!
On the way home a yummy chocolate bar actually does cheer you up - it is true what they say about it releasing your happy hormones - and the sugar gives you a little rush to keep you going until you get home to the warmth of food in the oven and your cosy duvet wrapped around you.


2nd is a personalised first aid kit 


Now these items are some what first aidy and medical seeming in their advantages as well as essential for your journey. Once you have fed and watered yourself you need to consider A. Cleanliness - This is where the Carex Refreshing Handy Wipes come into play, also here an antibacterial hand gel or cream would be perfect (I hear Lanolips is launching a new one with aloe, I can't wait to take a whack at it because I hate the alco-gels that smell like the bottom of a vodka bottle) anyway the wipes are perfect for cleaning you up, or moping up the orange juice you got all over your hands from successfully peeling your nectarine on the go.
B. Falling to the floor because your head feels so sensitive newspapers are too loud. 4head - my miracle worker. My all time love and one of those motherly tricks I'll never forget. The tingling sensation makes your headache seem miles away without having to pop pills mid journey. It really helps in the morning when you feel like your head is going to fall off your shoulders, and in the evening when you feel totally out of balance.
C. Puffy eye syndrome. Another thing that helps you feel less like death at 6.30 in the morning, is the Nip & Fab Viper Venom Eye Fix - a cold eye roll on that stops your eyes from making your journey to Westminster stop at Stanmore, and makes your eyes look more Shakira than Puff Daddy...

3rd is the nice smelly beauty things


Vaseline with aloe vera smells nice, does the job on cuticles, lips and sore dry bits (like my nose atm) so HAS to go in the handbag whether there be a tube strike or not.
Speaking of cuticles, once you've cleaned your mucky mits up with your wipes or anti-bac be sure to keep them moisturised throughout your journey with some hand cream (if you have anti bac hand cream - well - two birds and all). This is one of my new fave hand creams (Soap & Glory Hand Food), mainly for the smell and lightness of it. It's like sticking marshmallows up your nostrils - not that I have ever done this but I know my brother has once upon a time, and the image just came into my head... - anyway, it smells nice so I recommend it for all you pink and pretty lovers out there.
Another pink and pretty essential is the I love... Strawberries & Cream Body Spritzer - obviously you need this for when you start to sweat and stink (or smell someone else start to sweat and stink), but you should also use a mist or spritzer on the tube or in crowds because deodorants and body sprays aren't fair on your neighbouring passengers with asthma (so I've learnt). This one smells like heaven in a bottle (reminds me of the strawberry and cream chubba chub lolly).

Take head, and do as I do and say and you will survive the tube strike too. What's in your survival kit?

2 comments:

  1. haha I love it! Great post. I'd hate to have to do the tube everyday as I'm a bit claustrophobic but fab survivial products! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! So glad you like it :D - It is super dreadful but I am getting into the swing of it scarily! x

      Delete