Sunday 15 June 2014

the nail art update: roses, organisation & geometrics

I have a couple of really cute designs to show you from this week. I started the week with a messy & girly vibe and ended it on a neat & edgy note. I'd love to tutorials for both these designs at some point as they are both fairly basic once you break them down and easy once you have had a bit of practice, but I still got asked 'You did them yourself? How?' I'll get a few pointers and show you the tools I used (If you are someone who dabbles and has the tools these designs should be fairly easy).

pretty ugly freehand roses


Tools: A medium and small dotting tool, black nail art pen, GOSH Cosmetics Special Edition 009 Bright Idea, Spring shade 626 Kind of Pink, 012 Splish Splash and Cheeky 1813 Purplexed.
This design actually inspired my new logo (which I hope you like, designed and done by me! I am very proud of it). I've done a few roses designs in the past couple of years, this has to be my favourite though. A design I have actually seen a lot of nail artists do variations of. This is my turn on it, a shimmery gold background with deep pink roses - very messy style with simple black lines to make them look more like roses as appose to splodges! 
To do this design - you literally have to, on top of your base coat, dab a couple of random sized dots of a few different polishes (stick to pale pinks/deep pinks/bright reds for roses) in clusters. then use your nail art pen to create random out lines, creating petals then using a brush I brushed on little green leaves! - top coat and done!

random retro geometrics

Tools: Long thin brush, black nail art pen, a rainbow of bright polishes of your choice
This design is totally random - I wanted to do something completely new and as I had just gone through all my nail polishes to organise them I couldn't pick one feature colour to concentrate on or inspire me - so I picked a whole bunch and just went with it.. this is the result!


I used the brush to paint on the shapes (this took some patience and a very dry undercoat of white) It is important to have a reall dry undercoat with this as if you create a bump in your straight line you can use a small thin brush dipped in varnish remover to neaten it up. If you have a thick base (made up of several thing layers to avoid chipping) that is super dry you won't remove an obvious amount of the base colour! I created random shapes and added black lines with my pens thinner brush - and done :)

I decided to ransack my messy Soap & Glory bag this week and throw out any dried up old polishes - this I should do regularly really - in the process I came up with a new organisation plan :) 


I hope it stays this neat..





No comments:

Post a Comment