Thursday 15 January 2015

denim transformation

 For years I have struggled with jeans. From being too skint to by nice Toshop jeans that actually fit my length of leg I have had my fair share of Primark jeans as they have the best length availability for the price! But the only problem is they are pretty ugly...

The best pair of jeans I have ever owned are a super tight acid wash high waist jeans from Topshop... Unfortunately I have stretched them out and worn them out to the point of no return, unless I put a stone of two on (lets be honest that's not likely to happen just for a pair of jeans). And now I am in a total money rut being slung back into student life full force I have been forced to turn back to Primark jeans to get me through these very very cold months.

A few years ago, in the very same position, I purchased a standard pair of blue skinny (not that skinny) low waist jeans from Primark and I dipped the ends in bleach to vamp them up a bit. Many compliments later I want to do the same with a similar pair I've had for a few months now and actually hate wearing because they are so blah. And they also are way too big around the ankle.

So here is what I have done step by step to tailor them and jazz them up..
  1. I grabbed a pair of rubber gloves, an empty spray bottle and a bottle of bleach I found in the cupboard
  2. I lay the jeans in the bath tub and with a spray bottle filled with pure bleach I sprayed away to my own pleasure.
  3. I then hung the jeans on the door to allow to dry, then I could see if I had sprayed them enough.
  4. Once happy, I put them in the drier to make super sure they were right.
  5. Now the complicated bit that I've taken snaps for...
  6. I took the in seam of the jean and pinned it to the size of my ankle
  7. Next I removed the jeans and cut a V to remove the old seam
  8. I did a very simple overlay stitch around the edge of the jeans to keep them in place. Do try to make sure the seam looks moderately presentable as we are going to fold them up next.
  9. So once the stitch us done, fold the jeans a do a simple stitch inside the fold to keep in place on either side.
  10. Repeat on the other leg.
  11. Now wash the jeans to make sure the bleach is out and the stitches are stable enough.
  12. Dry and add a belt if you like. Et voila. 

No comments:

Post a Comment